Grossberg Company LLP, a mid-sized Washington DC area CPA firm, is a premier provider of accounting, tax and business consulting services. We provide a solid, friendly work environment for our employees and we are seeking a skilled Senior Accountant to join our team in North Bethesda, Maryland.
Please note: flexible work from home options are available temporarily due to the ongoing pandemic.
Tax seniors are integral members of our professional team, and the work performed is at the core of what we do for our clients. As a Tax Senior you have responsibility over providing tax planning and compliance services to high-net-worth individuals and closely held businesses. Tax Seniors are exposed to primarily tax work, but also auditing and accounting providing support to a variety of client engagements. Tax Seniors set up time budgets on engagements they have previously handled and may be asked to direct staff accountants to employ methods which will accomplish the objectives of the engagement.
Our ideal candidate will have acute technical abilities, demonstrated ability to manage client relationships, and the desire to be an intricate part of business development and marketing strategies. This is a great opportunity for candidates who are looking to further develop their career, particularly in pursuit of a partnership track. This full-time position includes competitive compensation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Trace procedures from origin of transaction through initial recording to final disposition in the accounts (flow charting)
- Prepare workpaper schedules analyzing activity in virtually all general ledger accounts and apply procedures as required by the type of engagement to the data included on the workpaper
- Apply inquiry and analytical procedures to financial data and evaluate the reasonableness of a client’s explanations for variances arising in connection with performing such work
- Assess the reasonableness of estimates used by the client in recording transactions
- Review internal controls and document the understanding in the form of a memorandum, flow chart, checklist or combination thereof
- Classify accounts for financial statement presentation
- Determine the existence of contingent liabilities by review of correspondence with attorneys, examination of minutes, inquiries to clients, etc
- Determine the extent of test-checking required in an audit and select the period to be tested
- Prepare moderately complicated tax returns
- Suggest client tax planning ideas to a supervisor, manager, or partner.
- Write comments for reportable conditions letters
- Prepare routine correspondence to the client for approval and signature of a partner or manager
- Set up books of account for new businesses
- Prepare budgets
- Suggest improvements to engagement management for increased efficiencies in subsequent engagements
- Perform other job-related duties as necessary
For nearly 100 years Grossberg Company LLP has been a premier provider of accounting, tax and business consulting services, specializing in services to the real estate industry. Grossberg Company LLP has a well-known reputation of unparalleled client satisfaction. At the heart of this success, are professional staff members who possess the skills and training required to survive in the ever-changing world of new tax laws and regulations, advanced technologies and strategic business planning. Built on decades of hard work and timely responsiveness to clients, Grossberg Company LLP devotes a substantial amount of firm resources to training its people, keeping them apprised of the latest developments that may affect their client's business operations, tax planning strategies and their long-term business objectives. As a result, the employees of Grossberg Company LLP are some of the best and brightest in their field and the casual, laid-back working atmosphere lends itself to producing successful, satisfied professionals.
Benefits: Grossberg Company LLP offers a competitive compensation package including salary, training and opportunities for advancement; medical, dental, disability insurance, life insurance, retirement program including profit sharing; paid holidays and vacation, cafeteria plan, flex-time policy, company sponsored gym membership, and business casual attire dress code.
- MUST possess a BS/BA degree in Accounting
- CPA designation preferred
- 2 - 3 years progressive experience in public accounting preparing and reviewing tax returns for various types of entities (primarily S-Corp, C-Corp, and Partnerships) and industries, tax planning, client interaction and performing special tax projects for clients; knowledge of partnership taxation in the real estate industry strongly desired
- 1 or more years experience in tax accounting with an emphasis on corporate tax and high net worth self-employed individuals
- Excellent analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills with proficiency in US GAAP
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities in a fast-paced, interactive, results-based team environment
- Exceptional client service and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain outstanding client relationships
- Proven technical skills with Excel, Word, and tax preparation software; experience with ProSystem Tax strongly desired
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and clients
- Strong desire to be an intricate part of business development and marketing strategies
- Strong excellent written, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Solid organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task; must be detail oriented
- Possess positive and professional attitude
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites