Grossberg Company LLP, a mid-sized Washington DC area CPA firm, is a premier provider of accounting, tax and business consulting services. We provide a solid, friendly work environment and are seeking skilled Staff Accountants to join our team in North Bethesda, Maryland.
Please note: flexible work from home options are available temporarily due to the ongoing pandemic.
Staff accountants are integral members of our professional team. The work they perform is at the core of what we do for our clients. They are exposed to auditing, accounting and tax work providing support to a variety of client engagements and have many opportunities to put the business and accounting theory and knowledge learned in school into practice across multiple industries. The work of staff accountants is guided by an in-charge accountant who provides a brief in advance on the assignment, suggests expeditious methods, answers questions, decides on remedies when difficulties are encountered, and periodically reviews the staff accountant’s progress. The staff accountant ordinarily does not deal directly with clients without guidance and supervision by the in-charge accountant. Staff accountants are the main source of our firm’s future seniors, supervisors, managers, and partners.
Typical assignments will include:
Accounting / Audit Assurance
- Preparation of financial statements, footnotes, work papers, tax returns, management letters, agreed-upon procedures, and other attestation engagements
- Analyze client transactions and unusual situations and incorporate the appropriate tax and accounting effect to the transaction or situation
- Recognize and resolve potential and/or existing problems with appropriate research and consulting if necessary
Engagement / Client Management
- Complete tax returns and ensure accuracy and completeness
- Perform research on tax issues and filing requirements that affect tax compliance
- Serve as a member of the engagement team on specific client accounts, working with the lead on pre-engagement planning execution, final deliverable development and billing and collection
- Record transactions in journals, classify postings, total and cross-total entries for a period. Post journals to ledgers and balance.
- Prepare simple financial statements using a provided format.
- Reconcile bank accounts and resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare payroll tax, sales and other local tax returns.
- Prepare non-complex individual, partnership and corporate income tax returns.
- Prepare statistical and account analyses.
- Perform interim examinations (monthly or quarterly) of small companies and prepare substantiating workpapers.
For over 95 years Grossberg Company LLP, a Washington DC mid-size CPA firm, has been a premier provider of accounting, tax and business consulting services, specializing in services to the real estate industry. Grossberg Company LLP has a well-known reputation of unparalleled client satisfaction. At the heart of this success, are professional staff members who possess the skills and training required to survive in the ever-changing world of new tax laws and regulations, advanced technologies and strategic business planning. Built on decades of hard work and timely responsiveness to clients, Grossberg Company LLP devotes a substantial amount of firm resources to training its people, keeping them apprised of the latest developments that may affect their client's business operations, tax planning strategies and their long-term business objectives. As a result, the employees of Grossberg Company LLP are some of the best and brightest in their field and the casual, laid-back working atmosphere lends itself to producing successful, satisfied professionals.
Grossberg Company LLP offers a competitive compensation package including training and opportunities for advancement; medical, dental, disability insurance, life insurance, retirement program including profit sharing; paid holidays and vacation, flex-time policy, company sponsored gym membership, and a business casual attire .
Qualified candidates should apply on-line at: http://grossberg.catsone.com/careers
- BS/BA degree in accounting with ability to pursue CPA
- Completion of 150 credit hours preferred.
- Prior working experience in a public accounting firm strongly preferred.
- Prior Bookkeeping experience in an internship or previous work experience.
- Prior experience posting journals to ledgers and balancing ledgers.
- Experience posting journal entries.
- A solid understanding of debits and credits.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Ability to work additional hours as needed; 240 hours of overtime are required for this position during tax season (Jan – April)